Professor & Head R&D
Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Manufacturing Technology
- Materials Technology
- 3D Printing Technology
Dr. S.Shankar a well-known academician, researcher and trainer has been involved into teaching various engineering subjects in Mechanical Engineering domain in reputed engineering colleges in Tamilnadu and in Karnataka as well as deeply involved into various research activities. Presently he is a Professor and Head (R & D) in Mechanical Engineering at Cambridge Institute of Technology, Bengaluru.
Dr.S.Shankar obtained his B.E degree in Mechanical Engineering in the year 1985, Masters, M.E degree in Production Engineering in the year 1990 and MBA in Marketing Management in the year 1996. Later on, he pursued his PhD in Materials Technology (Composite Materials) and obtained Doctoral degree in the year 2015. He has rich academic experience over 34+ years and administrative experience for about 15 years in various capacities.
He has been actively involved into research activities, funded projects for over 5+ years and as students’ project coordinator for about 20 years guiding UG, PG and PhD scholars.
He is a Council Member of NAFEMS India operation and also an active member of NAFEMS India Composite Advisory Group, an International Non-Profit organisation, spearheading the development and effective utilisation of composite materials for various engineering applications. He has conducted many National and International conferences as well as webinars on specific engineering and technological domains and has many publications in National and International journals to his credit. He is widely regarded as a students’ counsellor motivating, inspiring, stimulating and fine-tuning the potential and mind-set of young minds for career prospects. Also, he is the president of the recently constituted CiTech-IIC of MHRD of our college.
- PhD, Composite Materials, JNTUH,2015
- MBA, (Marketing Management), IGNOU, 1996
- ME, Production Engineering, Bharathiar University,1990
- BE, Mechanical Engineering, Madras University,1985
Awards and Honors
Presented with Best Researcher award for the year 2020 in I-TEC conference conducted at REVA University, Bangalore.
- 1 Day webinar on Engineering Simulation in Aerospace and Defence domains
- 5 Day webinar on Design, Simulation and Development of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (Drones) and Applications in Various Engineering Sectors
- Process simulation optimisation and additive manufacturing for reengineering of Medical devices.
- 4 Day webinar on 3D Printing for Design and Advanced Development Applications for Automotive Sector, Medical devices, Customised gifts, Drones and Robotics
- 3 Day webinar on simulation in Aeronautical and Medical applications
- 3 Day webinar on Funding opportunities – proposals and research projects for faculty
- 16 online webinars on Entrepreneurship, Innovation and start-ups conducted by MIC (MHRD’s Innovation Cell)
- 12 India’s first leadership talk organised by MHRD
- Attended and completed IIC Innovation Ambassador Training Programme on Entrepreneurship Development conducted by MHRD’s Innovation Cell.
- Graphene – The future material
- Health Webinars organised by Cambridge Institute of Technology
- FDP on Contemporary tools and techniques for teachers and researchers in higher education: Experience of using virtual classrooms
- The Engine of Innovation by Dr Abraham Zubin.
- “The How? & Why? of Transitioning to Data Science, for Non IT Professionals”
- Webinar on “Innovation, Manufacturing and start-ups.
- Webinar on AI & Cyber Security.
- Webinar on IPR and Patent Search
- TECHNICAL PAPERS PUBLISHED IN NATIONAL / INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES
- Shankar et al. “Characterization of failure modes in Epoxy based E-Glass / Carbon woven fabric laminates” in International conference on Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering (ICMIME) at Bangkok, Thailand – organized by World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology (WASET), Volume 60, December 2009, ISSN 2070-3724.
- Shankar et al. “Characterization of Compressive Strength of Epoxy based E-Glass Laminate Composites” in National Conference on ‘Recent Trends in Mechanical Engineering’ (RTME 09) at Vemana Institute of Technology, Bangalore, November 23-24, 2009.
- Shankar et al. “Characterization of Tensile Properties of E-Glass / Polyester woven fabric laminates” in National Conference on ‘Advances in Mechanical Engineering’ (AME 2009) at Vidya Vikas Institute of Engineering and Technology, Mysore, October 5, 2009.
- Shankar et.al. “Evaluation of Tensile Properties of E-Glass / Carbon woven fabric laminates” in National Conference on ‘Emerging Trends in Engineering Technology & Applications’ (NCETETA 09) at Shirdi Sai Engineering College, April 29-30, 2009.
- Shankar et al. “Study of Mechanical properties of Aluminium 2024 based hybrid composites” in National Conference on Recent Development in Mechanical Engineering, New Horizon College of Engineering. Bangalore, 25 February 2009.
- TECHNICAL PAPERS PUBLISHED IN INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS
- Shankar et al. “Computational flow analysis of a blade wedge duct”, Advances in Engineering Design and Simulation, Select proceedings of NIRC 2018, Springer publications, p 293-302, 2018.
- Shankar et al. “Taguchi’s Approach: Design optimization of process parameters in Selective Inhibition Sintering”, Materials Today Proceedings, Science Direct, ELSEVIER, ISSN: 2214-7853, ICMPC 2017.
- Shankar et al. “RSM Optimization of Parameters influencing Mechanical properties in Selective Inhibition Sintering”, Materials Today Proceedings, Science Direct, ELSEVIER, ISSN: 2214-7853, ICMPC 2017.
- Shankar et al. “A Survey on Railway Freight Wagon”, International Journal for Ignited minds (IJIMINDS), ISSN: 2349-2082, Volume: 04, Issue: 04, April 2017, 22 – 28.
- Shankar.et.al. “Development and Characterisation of thermal Barrier coatings on Conventional and direct metal Laser sintered in 718 Super alloys” in International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology (IJEST) ISSN: 0975-5462 Vol. 7 No.12 Dec 2015 426-437.
- Shankar.et.al. “Comparative Study of Experimental and Simulated Results of Compression Test on Epoxy Based E-Glass / Carbon Fibre Reinforced Polymer Composite Laminates” in International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering (IJETAE), ISSN 2250-2459, ISO 9001:2008 Certified Journal, Volume 4, Issue 8, August 2014.
- Shankar.et.al. “Characterization of Epoxy based E-Glass / Carbon Reinforced Polymer Composite laminates Subjected to Low Velocity Impact Test (Drop Weight)” in International Journal of Engineering Science & Technology (IJEST), Engineering Journals Publications, Volume 3, May 2013, ISSN 2278-9510.
- Shankar.et.al. “Experimental Evaluation of Flexural Properties of Polymer Matrix Composites” in International Journal of Mechanical Engineering & Technology (IJMET), Published by International Association for Engineering and Management Education (IAEME), Volume 3, December 2012, ISSN 0976-6340.
- Shankar.et.al. “Evaluation of Tensile properties of Epoxy based E-Glass-Carbon woven fabric laminates” in International Journal of Mechanical Engineering (IJME), Serials Publications, New Delhi, December 2010, Volume 3, ISSN 0974-5823.